An apartment building in West Redding was damaged by a fire Sunday afternoon that was totally preventable. Just after 4:30PM, Redding Fire Department was called to Placer Street between Chestnut and Willis. There was smoke coming from the rear of the multi-story building and firefighters quickly extinguished a small exterior fire on the back patio. There was no spread to the interior, or any other nearby structures. Damage is estimated at $5,100. The cause was apparently smoldering cigarette butts improperly discarded in a plastic trash can.